Saturday, November 5, 2016

Fold3's Holocaust Collection

I'd received an email about Fold3's WWII collection being free to search through November 8, so I went to check it out.  While I did find some things on my family who was in the US during that time period (like my grandfather's draft card which I haven't seen anywhere else!), I was very surprised that some of the surnames that I looked for popped up under a sub-collection which I hadn't seen before--Fold3's Holocaust Collection.  While there was not a lot on my father's side of the family, since most of those relatives were killed before they made it to a concentration camp, there were multiple documents on relatives from my maternal grandmother's Subcarpathia side.  Here are just a few examples of what I've found with some quick searching
Flossenburg Concentration Camp Inmate Entry Register--Zoltan Eisikowicz

I found a record of my grandmother's second cousin Zoltan Eisikowicz (who did survive the war) entering Flossenburg Concentration Camp (above).
Mendel Eizikavits Concentration Camp Registry
His uncle Mendel, my great grandmother's first cousin, did not survive the war.  The above form has his signature, both parents' names (including his mother's maiden name) and their years of death.  Mendel spoke Yiddish, Ruthenian and German.  And it seems that he was in both Auschwitz and Bergen-Belsen.  (I'll be getting this completely translated, but I wanted to get this post out while the free access was still available!)

I'm not sure if this access is always free or if it's only included through the 8th.  But just in case, get your searching in quickly--and download copies any documents you find.

Note:  I'm on Twitter.  Follow me (@larasgenealogy).

Want to get future blog posts emailed to you automatically?
Enter your email address:

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I would
    Like to look through this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm logged to fold3 (Basic membership), and I search Holocaust collection following your link, then in search results I have some entries, but clicking on one of them system tells me about Premium account or start Trial. Have u started trial for those free records u mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the hint. I hadn't thought of Fold3 for Holocaust documents, but I'll have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. searching for Chaimowitz ( Khaimowitz) from Moscow Russia or Kovna Gubernia, Lithuania.

    ReplyDelete