Sunday, March 8, 2015

Law and Order: Pale of Settlement

My last post introduced a court case that my Tolchinsky family was involved with in 1899.  The saga continues below. (Thanks to Mark Halpern for the title!)
Tolchinsky Court Document; 1899; Nezhin
Translation as follows:

...and which, they said, was for the debt of townsperson Gersh Symonov Tolchinsky in the amount of 10 silver rubles according to the decision of the Losinovka County Court. However, since our personal effects were earned not by Gersh Tolchinsky but by my husband and our father the late Symon Naftulin Tolchinsky, our belongings were inherited by all in equal shares, and because of his state of poverty, our brother Gersh Tolchinsky sold us his share of the inheritance, to which we have proof in the form of an act of sale written in the office of Notary Public I. [M.] Shepelev. And therefore all personal effects in our possession belong not to Gersh Tolchinsky, but to us, Freida, Berka, and Ekheva Tolchinskys. And therefore we hereby respectfully request to release our personal belongings and return to us the samovars with accessories, for it is hard for us to pay for other person's debts. And therefore we most respectfully request you again that Your Excellency decide to return to us our samovars.
Freida Tolchinsky, Ekhova Tolchinsky, and for them, illiterate persons, and for myself I sign 
Berko Tolchinsky.

1 comment:

  1. But, I’m having no luck tracing my family, on either side. 😿

    ReplyDelete